Friday, May 27, 2016

All Packed and Ready To Go!

I cant believe that it is finally here! I've been waiting for this trip since November, 2015 and time passed so quickly. I am so excited for this trip because I've never been on an experience like this; to go to a different country and provide a helping hand to those who need it.

I first just want to say thank you to all the people how have helped me and supported me in order to go on this trip of a lifetime. I am so humbled by all their efforts, and knowing I have support from people who are truly proud of me for going on this trip is really awesome.

A lot of planning went into this trip, which made getting packed pretty easy, but made fitting everything into one suitcase a bit of a struggle. Aside from packing work clothes and swimsuits, the group thought it would be a great idea if we also donated a few items to the children in the schools. I am bringing along some school supplies and toys to donate to the two schools we will be doing work on.

I am so ready to get my hands dirty and work on our two projects! We were advised to bring clothes that we don't really care about, so I am expecting that we are really going to be working our butts off. I've done a few projects around the house involving construction and rebuilding, but that will be minimal compared to what we will be experiencing in Jamaica and I am really looking forward from the learning experience we will get to have from the hands on work.

Another aspect that I am really looking forward to is interacting with the children who attend the schools we will be working on. I love getting to work with kids and interact with them, and I'm sure that they will be excited to have us there to play with them and be a friendly face. They probably will also teach us a great deal about Jamaican culture or about what they do at school, and that will be really interesting to learn about.

In a few hours, I will be on a beautiful island with my fellow peers getting ready to really make a difference in someones life, while also making memories that will last a lifetime!

-Melanie Caba

No comments:

Post a Comment