Sunday, May 29, 2016

First Impressions From Corinne

When most people in the U.S. think of Jamaica, they probably think of hot beaches, cold drinks, and lots of fun in the sun. Yes, obviously a native community exists beyond the resort walls, but that community doesn't affect me and is probably doing just fine. Despite attempts to keep an open mind, this preconceived notion lingered in my thoughts and tainted my general first impression of Jamaica, especially at the first sight of palm trees as we stepped out of the airport. Therefore, as we began to embark on our 2.5 hour journey from the airport to our first place of stay, crammed together into a bus that would soon come to feel like home (and is definitely the most air conditioned environment I've experienced here so far), I was very surprised. Don't get me wrong-- Jamaica is a beautiful country, but as the series of misshapen, tiny, brightly colored huts began to form into a blur as our bus increased speed, I couldn't believe the degree of poverty that was evident, and, moreover, how thousands of people vacation here without a second thought as to what exists beyond the resort walls. 

This is not to say I felt sympathetic or pitiful-- rather, I found myself wondering about what it takes to make a human being happy. Are humans happier with less or more? Do people living in Jamaica dream of trips to NYC, just as so many people in NYC dream of getaways to Jamaica? Will people always want what they can't have? What exactly is it that makes all of us so human, despite living in completely different ways? 

I never understood why it was so important to travel until now. Usually when I'm at home, I'm a pretty picky eater, avoiding most foods that are unfamiliar. Here, I want to eat everything, trying new foods and even foods I usually don't eat at home (scrambled eggs & shrimp. I still ate around the tomatoes in my salad, though). This morning I leaped out of bed at 6:15am, wide awake and ready to explore. Anyone reading this from home may be wondering who hijacked my phone and wrote this post for me, as I am notorious for never wanting to leave my bed, especially not in the morning. I have never felt such a desire to want to physically absorb as much of the culture here as humanly possible. I am already deeply moved by this country and its people and we have not even set foot onto the worksite yet. 

This evening we had a very productive discussion that really helped put me into a very good mindset before we enter the worksite tomorrow. At the root of it, it was about coming to the understanding that doing this service is going beyond doing it for gratification. It's about being in it for the long haul and finding your inner strength through the connections made through serving. It's about using the fire that has been lit within you to ignite a passion in others, causing a chain reaction and making a difference in the world one person at a time. Most of all, it's about putting everything on the line and immersing yourself in what it truly means to serve. I can't wait to report back next week. I will end this post with a quote that resounded with me: "service is the work of the soul." 

-Corinne Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment