Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Trip of a Lifetime...For a Second Time? A Greater Meaning

Ever since returning home on June 6th, 2015 from the inaugural Stevens Global Service Initiative trip, I yearned to return to the place that gave me so much, exposed me to a different culture and frankly allowed me to begin on a path to becoming a true Global Citizen. I yearned to know when I would get a second chance to have the ability to serve the amazing people of Jamaica, to experience the Watershed moments that opened my mind to the wonders and power of faith and forever changed me both mentally and spiritually. Now, as I sit here and write this very blog, I am only a few hours away from returning to the trip that has forever changed my life, and I cannot be more excited to be back in Jamaica. However, there is another factor of this trip in specific that I’m even more thrilled about—serving as Student Facilitator for this 2016 trip.

            As the Student Facilitator for the trip this year, I am responsible for not only serving as a resource of information and advice for the students who are experiencing their first trip, but also in charge of teaching two lessons during the course of the week. Words cannot describe how enthralled I am to be able to guide the first-time students through their first trip, whether it’s helping them get acclimated to the Jamaican culture, or assisting them in discovering their true Watershed moments throughout our stay. While on my first voyage last year, I was exposed to feelings and emotions that I still cannot put into words; and I only hope that these amazing individuals with me can say the same thing after they too complete their inaugural GSI trip. I am honored to be able to say that I will be by their side the entire time to guide and mentor them through the process, and will ensure that they experience and absorb as much as they possibly can along the way. And, by being given the opportunity to facilitate discussions on topics such as privilege and helping vs. servicing, I will be able to allow the other students’ minds to initiate deeper and deeper thoughts pertaining to these topics and even more. In a blog I wrote last year, I preached about this trip lighting a torch in me, and longing to be capable of helping others discover that torch and light theirs as well; and I think that through this role I will be able to truly show my other travel mates the true power of this journey and spread my flame to others.


            With this combination of being able to not only return to the GSI trip but being able to lead my fellow students through the journey as well, I believe that this trip may be as remarkable, if not more than the 2015 trip; and I cannot wait to land in Jamaica and help to uncover the torches inside all of those around me, in the hopes that they too will long to spread the same flame to other just as I did to them.

-Andrew 

No comments:

Post a Comment