Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Stars

May 31, 2016 - Day 4, Second Work Day   I truly love waking up to open the door with the sun shining, the breeze blowing and the waves crashing in the background. We were provided with a fantastic meal again here at Tiano Cove, and the fact that they take care of us is truly something special. We headed back to Pedro Plains Primary School for our second day of work there. It was mostly empty as the students went on a field trip to Montego Bay. There were a few children there however, but not in uniform or anything. Those children were our friends for the day! Since we finished painting the netball court yesterday and putting up the wall aside the bleachers, today we were tasked with painting the ledge of the court, rendering the outer wall of the court, painting the principal's office and a few classrooms, and painting the outer wall as well. I began helping the cement team mix cement mix using water, which really is a strenuous and back-breaking process. But with a great group of students and workers, we were able to get it done with smiles. The cement (better known as MUD-AH) was being used for the rendering, which was filling up the cracks made by cinderblocks and to be smoothed into a flat wall. I won't speak too much about the specific work, because painting realistically is painting, no major art there. This work the past couple days has shown and taught me a tremendous amount. First, the children at the school are so thankful for anything and everything we brought to them. I gave a small child a red bandana when we first arrived, and shortly after I saw him wearing it as a cape and he kept it there all day. Just seeing something like that puts a smile on my face and is proof as to how simple life can be osmetimes. Yesterday, the children went crazy for bubbles, balloons, jumpropes, and to play with hair. I once received this awesome magnetic block set for Christmas from a family friend and was appalled, returning it the next day. Looing back, I realize how shitty of a person I can be for stupif stuff like that. And I know that is not just me. Many in our country are never satisfied with what they have, and always need more material possessions. Being here makes me disappointed at how much I rely on my computer, phone, and other material goods. Not having a phone during the day is a liberating feeling, and we should try it more at home. But as I was saying, the children are so happy just to see us and get to play with us. With this happiness, they are still very respectful. Every single school child (even today when they were not in school) addresses me as "Sir" everytime they speak to me. In my mind I was like "I'm a kid still!," but ultimately I was astounded. Kids at home are cursing and being outwardly loud and disrespectful to others without a care. They feel as id they have things coming to them and that they are better than others. NO ONE in Jamaica feels that way, especially the children. I am blessed to have been able to give high fives to, play with, carry, give piggy backs to these children and bring a smile to their face, bringing a smile to my face. The day workers have also been fantastic. They work hard and get shit done, but they are always smiling and laughing, shouting for "MUD" or for us to "BUST A SWEAT MON". They have tried to teach many of us their dialect and how to speak it, they have conversations with us about the history of Jamaica, how they feel blessed and love God, they sing and rap, and they teach all of us students how to properly do the work they do. The attitude is always positive and caring. Almost any work in the US is done by many with regret and misery. People dread working and just want to be on the couch watching TV and eating food without moving very far. The work we have done with the laborers in Jamaica is hard, physical labor in the sweltering Jamaican heat with a bunch of children around. But the laborers really push us and provide a happy environment, which brings our group together even closer. From the worksite we drove up to Saint Mary's Primary School which was a nice long drive up the mountain. Here we delivered all the school supplies for the students, and took a tour to be able to think about and offer advice as to how to separate the younger children and make classes easier to focus in (disclaimer: schools are one level with grades til 6th grade. Doors are open and the classrooms are connected with partitions in the middle to separate. These partitions do not go all the way up, and noise is transmitted between classes, over and through walls). They are looking to add a separate building, but are unsure how to do so. We were not there very long, but it was crazy to see the difference compared to our schools at home. We came back and swam in the cove, throwing sand at each other like little children. You are never too old to be a child! We regrouped and went to dinner at a place with Smurf in the name, and had another outlandishly delicious meal. The pork was phenomenol, the cocunut veggies and cabbage dishes were mouthwatering. The food is top notch here, and I would recommend to anyone. Upon returning to Tiano Cove for our last night, I took some free time to lay on the lounge chair and stare at the sky full with stars (soething I have never seen in New York or New Jersey). The sky full of stars is one of the omst beautiful sights one can ever see. I lay down and stared up for 20 minutes at hundreds of stars. Normally space stuff freaks me out and I am an existensial person, but tonight, after the past four days, I felt so at peace, so relaxed, so genuinely happy. Part is because we did great physical work at Pedro Plains, but it is mostly because of the way I have been made to feel here. As mentioned, you cannot feel negative when being around the Jamaican natives as they are so welcoming and happy. But my fellow partners and service members are equally responsible for how I feel. I could not have asked for a better, more welcoming group. I knew some prior to the trip, but through just a few days I feel like these people have been my best friends for years. These people are outstanding socially, and the work they have been able to do makes them stars. At that moment, laying on the chair staring at the sky, I was amongst the stars in the sky and the stars here on this service trip. I feel this indescribable feeling, something I have never felt before. I have the utomst gratitude for this opportunity and being placed among all the STARS.   Angelo Popper

No comments:

Post a Comment